These simple guidelines will help assure the beef you enjoy at your tailgate is safe:
- Purchase beef from a trustworthy grocery store.
- Keep your beef stored in a cooler (under 40 degrees F) until you cook it.
- Clean cooking and preparation surfaces thoroughly to avoid cross-contamination between raw and cooked foods.
- Once cooked, do not allow your beef to sit outside or at room temperature for more than two hours.
- Cook beef until its internal temperature reaches at least 160 degrees F.
- Refrigerate leftovers and consume within three days of original cooking date.
- Reheat leftover beef by heating to 165 degrees F as quickly as possible.
Courtesy of the Alabama Cooperative Extension System