The San Jose State vs. Auburn game on Oct. 3 has been chosen as the 2015 Auburn Goes Green Game. Auburn Goes Green is a celebration of Auburn University’s commitment to sustainability, and fans are invited to do their part by tailgating responsibly to conserve resources and protect the loveliest village on the plains.
Auburn University has a wide range of innovative sustainability initiatives, and several will be highlighted throughout the day. Fan Fest will offer sustainability-themed engagement activities for families, Spirit of Sustainability Award winners will be recognized at the game, and student volunteers will distribute recycling bags in designated tailgate areas.
Auburn Goes Green is more than a day, says Jennifer Morse of AU’s Office of Sustainability. It’s an institutional commitment that serves Auburn’s mission as a land grant institution to improve the lives of the people of Alabama and beyond, she says.
Fans can participate in the Auburn Goes Green initiative at this and every game by making a few simple decisions. Here are five tips toward a greener game day experience:
- Shop locally and purchase fresh and organic foods for a game-day spread that supports local businesses and provides the best nutrition.
- Avoid the disposable and pick the reusable to save money and produce less waste. Examples include reusable plates, cups, utensils, tablecloths, etc.
- Choose plastic and aluminum rather than glass and Styrofoam. Auburn recycles only plastic and aluminum on game day, so pick items that can be recycled.
- Reduce air pollution and save fuel on game day by riding Tiger Transit and carpooling with others.
- Look for volunteers in bright green shirts distributing recycling bags for tailgaters, as well as the 300-plus recycling bins on campus to give your plastic and aluminum a new life.
The Auburn Goes Green Game is a partnership between the AU Athletics Department, Coca Cola, AU’s Waste Reduction and Recycling Department, and the Office of Sustainability. Additional partners are WEGL 91.1, Eagle Eye, the AU Student Involvement Office’s Center for Community Service, the Student Alumni Association, and Tailgate Guys.
A table at the Coca Cola Tiger Fan Fest in front of the Nichols Center on Donahue Drive will be devoted to sustainability, so tailgaters are urged to stop by before the game.