Here’s a good read from Global Biodefense, which provides news about pathogens and preparedness:

Are we obsessed with bad science in television and film? It’s starting to feel like we can’t get away from the hype of a killer virus that will infect the whole planet in a matter of days. Don’t get me wrong, I’m excited to see a movie that will make any mention of the importance and impact of an infectious disease, but it’s starting to seem like television and film are moving closer to a zombie virus and farther from the every-day cold. I’ll admit it, I was excited to see Inferno. Anything that incorporates history and disease is a winner in my book and I did enjoy reading Dan Brown’s book. Most people working in infectious disease will tell you that we walk into a movie knowing it’s going to be a mixture of theatrics and inaccuracies – it’s the nature of the beast.

As much as I enjoyed watching Robert Langdon run around Florence while solving Dante-based riddles to stop a genetically engineered virus, I was even more dismayed by the poor science. Ninety-five percent of the population infected in five to seven days? A secret special-ops WHO branch that goes around stopping rogue scientists? It’s hard to shake the newfound reality that you have to make a super-spreading killer virus to capture people’s attention. Inferno now gets to join the club of films that mutates science into dramatic inaccuracies. READ MORE